I tried out this recipe from Cookie and Kate recently. While my version isn't quite there yet, I wanted to note down the basic steps for future editing!
- Olive Oil
- Canned Lentils
- 1qt/4 cups of chicken/vegetable broth
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Collard Greens
- Spices - Cumin, Curry Powder (Coriander, Cumin, Ginger, Chili Pepper), Thyme, Salt, Red Pepper Flakes, Black Pepper
- Lemon Juice, Fresh
- Chop and prepare onions, garlic, and carrots. Smaller pieces seem to work better and melt into the soup.
- Pour olive oil into large pot over medium heat. More oil is better for this recipe.
- When the oil looks shimmery, slide in the onions and carrots. Cook until translucent.
- Add garlic, cumin, thyme, and curry powder, and stir until fragrant. Pour in tomatoes and cook until they no longer taste like they came from a tin.
- Add lentils, broth, and however much water you want. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Cook until lentils are starting to melt.
- At this point, season until things start to taste right, especially with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Add in chopped greens and cook until softened. Remove from heat and add in lemon juice until you feel like there is a good zing to it. Serve while hot.
Back to All Recipes