Quick Pickled Red Onions/Daikon/Carrots
- 1 part white vinegar (apple cider is also very good)
- 1 part water
- 1 table spoon each of salt and sugar (can also use honey, maple syrup, or any other sweetener)
- Thinly sliced red onions, daikon radish, or carrots
- Large jar - I've found spaghetti sauce jars are especially convenient
- Slice your vegetables however you want. I usually peel onions, cut in half, and then slice thinly. For carrots and radish, I usually make it into strips by first peeling, then slicing lengthwise. After that, I take each large slice and make it into thin strips.
- In a small saucepan, mix vinegar, water, salt, and sugar. Bring to a gentle boil, just until the salt and sugar fully dissolves. You might want to open windows/turn on the exhaust during this, to prevent your entire house from smelling of vinegar.
- Allow the brine to slightly cool, before pouring over vegetables in the jar.
Back to All Recipes